Chapter 27: Cursed Be…
Israel will cross Jordan to build an altar and worship the Lord. The Children of Israel, are the Lord’s people, but curses shall be among them if they do not obey him.
Moses speaks to the congregation of Israel and outlines the curses that can be brought among them if they chose to disobey him:
- Cursed be… “…the man that maketh any graven images or molten images…” (Deuteronomy 27:15)
- Don’t worship other gods.
- Cursed be… “…he that setteth light by his father or his mother (setteth light: disgraces)…” (Deuteronomy 27:16)
- Don’t disgrace your parents.
- Cursed be… “…he that removeth his neighbors landmark…” (Deuteronomy 27:17)
- Don’t steal property.
- Cursed be… “…he that perverteth the judgement of the stranger, fatherless, and widow…” (Deuteronomy 27:18)
- Don’t falsely accuse someone of something that they did not do.
- Cursed be… “…he that lieth with his father’s wife…” (Deuteronomy 27:19)
- Incest is an abomination.
- Cursed be… “…he that lieth with any manner of beast…” (Deuteronomy 27:20)
- Bestiality is an abomination.
- Cursed be… “…he that lieth with his sister, the daughter of his father, or the daughter of his mother…” (Deuteronomy 27:22)
- Again, Incest is an abomination.
- Cursed be… “…he that lieth with his mother in law…” (Deuteronomy 27:23)
- Sexual sin.
- Cursed be… “…he that smiteth his neighbor secretly…” (Deuteronomy 27:24)
- Don’t gossip or accuse someone falsely.
- Cursed be… “…he that taketh a reward to slay an innocent person…” (Deuteronomy 27:25)
- Don’t murder for money or power.
- Cursed be… “…he that confirmeth not all the words of this law to do them…” (Deuteronomy 27:26)
- Anyone who disagrees with the laws, shall be cursed.
Chapter 28: Blessings and Curses
If Israel is obedient they shall be blessed both spiritually and temporally (blessed in the things of God and the world). If the children of Israel disobey they shall be cursed, smitten and destroyed. The curses that lurk are; plagues, diseases, and oppression from foreign lands. If the congregation of Israel worships false gods, they will be enslaved by foreign powers, and will have their children eaten, yes eaten (see verse52-53).