Chapter 5: 10 Commandments
Moses calls all of Israel to come and listen to him regarding the statutes and commandments, by which they must follow. Moses reminds them that they must not only learn the commandments, but also keep and do them. So it is not as simple as “I know the commandments” and then keep them for a while and forget about them… it is a commitment. It is a covenant.
Moses reminds them all that THEY made this covenant with the Lord, not their fathers but THEY, all of those who are alive as Moses speaks to them. He reminds them that they made these covenants to follow the commandments of the Lord in Horeb and that they talked with God FACE TO FACE, Moses being there intermediary.
Moses then recaps the 10 commandments (as listed in Exodus 20):
- Thou shalt have no other gods before me. – Worship God and no other person or thing.
- Moses notes that God said: “Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them (idols), nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me” (Deuteronomy 5:9)
- Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. – You should not bow down/serve them, for God is a jealous God. Showing destruction to those who hate him and mercy unto those who love him.
- Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord in vain – don’t say God, Jesus, Jesus Christ, etc. Unless you are speaking of them. Do not use them as cuss words.
- Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. – Sunday is to be observed to serve others, read the scriptures, and attend church and rest. You should avoid working on Sundays if you can, and should always avoid making others work on Sunday, by shopping.
- Honour thy father and thy mother – Respect your elders!
- Thou shalt not kill
- Thou shalt not commit adultery. – Law of Chastity: No sexual relationships outside of the bonds of marriage.
- Thou shalt not steal
- Thou shalt not bare false witness. – Do not lie.
- Thou shalt no covet. – Do not be jealous of what others have.
Moses goes on to state that these words were spoken to them in the mount out of the midst of fire and cloudiness of thick darkness. These commandments were written on two stones. Blessings flow from obedience.
Chapter 6: Keep the Commandments/Love God
Moses continues to tell the congregation of Israel to not only keep the commandments, but to Love and fear God.
“…thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy sould, and with all thy might” (Deuteronomy 6:5)
We must serve God and Love him and if we do this (knowing that we must follow his commandments and be afraid of his power) than he will show us his love and make us prosper.
We need to always be doing what is right and just, if we succeed with this than we will prosper in the land.