Chapter 19: Israel; A Chosen People
Israel travels from the wilderness of Sinai and then from Rephidim to the desert of Sinai, where they pitched their tents. This being 3 months from the time that the Lord delivered them from the land of Egypt.
Moses goes up to God on the mountain and the Lord tell Moses that if the children of Israel obey and keep their covenants, that God will make them a “peculiar” people, and a “treasure” above all people, a holy nation.
The Lord appears on Mount Sinai amongst fire and earthquakes. Moses and Aaron go unto God, but the rest of them people are not able to go and see God.
Chapter 20: 10 Commandments
Moses speaks to God on the top of the Mount Sinai. Here he gives Moses the 10 Commandments.
The Ten Commandments:
1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me. – Worship God and no other person or thing.
2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. – You should not bow down/serve them, for God is a jealous God. Showing destruction to those who hate him and mercy unto those who love him.
3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord in vain – don’t say God, Jesus, Jesus Christ, etc. Unless you are speaking of them. Do not use them as cuss words.
4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. – Sunday is to be observed to serve others, read the scriptures, attend church and rest. You should avoid working on Sundays if you can, and should always avoid making others work on Sunday, by shopping.
5. Honour thy father and thy mother – Respect your elders!
6. Thou shalt not kill
7: Thou shalt not commit adultery. – Law of Chastity: No sexual relationships outside of the bonds of marriage.
8: Thou shalt not steal
9: Thou shalt not bare false witness. – Do not lie.
10: Thou shalt no covet. – Do not be jealous of what others have.