Chapter 49: Prophecy about Generation of Jacob
Jacob blesses his children; he tells Reuben, Simeon and Levi that they are “unstable as water”, that they shall not “excel” and that they are instruments of “cruelty”.
He praises Judah and foretells of the second coming of Christ.“…until Shiloh come…” (Genesis 49:10), “Shiloh” meaning “to whom it belongs” – referring to the throne of Jesus.
- Zebulum – shall dwell at the haven of the sea, border unto Zidon.
- Issachar – is strong
- Dan- shall judge his people as one of the tribes of Israel
- Gad- a troop shall overcome him, but he shall succeed.
- Asher- his bread shall be fat.
- Naphtali- gives good words
- Joseph- is a fruitful vineyard, whose branches shall run over the wall. This is speaking of the Nephites and Lamanites of the Book of Mormon.
Jacob chooses to be buried with his family in the land of Canaan. He “gives up the ghost” and dies.
Chapter 50: God will bring Israel out of Egypt
Joseph weeps over the death of his father and commands that his father be embalmed. He buries his father in the land of Canaan, in the cave of the field of Machpelah. Joseph dies at the age of 110 years.