Chapter 1: Each Tribe is Numbered
The Lord spoke to Moses in the wilderness of Sinai, in the tabernacle of the congregation on the first day of the second month, in the second year after they had departed from Israel. There, the Lord instructs that the members of each tribe, all males from the age of 20 up, should gather together. The total gathering together was 603,550 men. These men would be prepared for war. The only tribe not included in these numbers, is the tribe of Levi. The Levites are commanded to watch over and protect the tabernacle and its testimony from all outsiders and strangers.
- Tribe of Reuben: Elizur son of Shedeur
- Tribe of Simeon: Shelumiel son of Zurishaddai
- Tribe of Judah: Nashon son of Amminadab
- Tribe of Issachar: Nethaneel the son of Zuar
- Tribe of Zebulun: Eliab the son of Helon
- Tribe of Joseph:
- of Ephraim: Elishama the son of Amihud
- of Manasseh: Gamaliel the son of Pedahzur
- Tribe of Benjamin: Abidan son of Gideon
- Tribe of Dan: Ahiezer the son of Ammishaddai
- Tribe of Asher: Pagiel son of Ocran
- Tribe of Gad: Eliasaph son of Deuel
- Tribe of Naphtali: Ahira son of Enan
Chapter 2: Order and Leaders are established
The Lord speaks again to Moses and Aaron, commanding them to have every man and his children (in the tribes of Israel) to place an Ensign (flag of standard and truth) to fly above their camp.
- On the east side, the camp of Judah is to pitch their tents on the east side toward the rising sun far off from the tabernacle. Nahshon the son of Amminadab is appointed the captain over the children of Judah.
- The camp of Issachar; Nathaneel the son of Zuar is appointed captain over the children of Issachar.
- The camp of Zebulun; Eliab the son of Helon is appointed captain over the children of Zebulun.
- On the south side shall be the camp of Reuben; the captain of the children of Reuben is appointed to Elizur the son of Shedeur.
- Pitching tents alongside the camp of Reuben, is the tribe of Simeon; Shelumiel the son of Zurishaddai is appointed captain of the children of Simeon.
- The camp of Gad; Eliasaph the son of Reuel is appointed captain over the children of Gad.
- On the west side shall be the standard of the camp of Ephraim; Elishama the son of Ammihud is appointed captain over the children of Ephraim.
- Next to the tribe of Ephraim shall reside the tribe of Manasseh; Gamaliel the son of Pedahzur is appointed captain of the tribe of Manasseh.
- The camp of Benjamin; Abidan the son of Gideoni is appointed captain over the children of Benjamin.
- On the north side; shall encamp the tribe of Dan; Ahiezer the son of Ammishaddai is appointed captain over the children of Dan.
- Next to the children of Dan, resides the tribe of Asher; Pagiel the son of Ocran is appointed captain over the children of Asher.
- The tribe of Naphtali; Ahira the son of Enan is appointed captain over the children of Naphtali.
The total number of these camps were 63,550 these numbers excluding the tribe of Levi. Each tribe set a standard over their camps and harkened unto the commandments of the Lord.