Chapter 13: Twelve Spies to the Land of Canaan
The Lord commands Moses to gather the strongest warrior from each of the Twelve Tribes of Israel to go out and seek the Land of Canaan.
These are the Twelve:
- The Tribe of Reuben: Shammua the son of Zaccur
- The Tribe of Simeon: Shaphat the son of Hori
- The Tribe of Judah: Caleb the son of Jephunneh
- The Tribe of Issachar: Igal the son of Joseph
- The Tribe of Ephraim: Oshea the son of Nun
- The Tribe of Benjamin: Palti the son of Raphu
- The Tribe of Zebulun: Gaddiel the son of Sodi
- The Tribe of Joseph, namely the Tribe of Manasseh: Gaddi the son of Susi
- The Tribe of Dan: Ammiel the son of Gemalli
- The Tribe of Asher: Sethur the son of Michael
- The Tribe of Naphtali: Nahbi the son of Vophsi
- The Tribe of Gad: Geuel the son of Machi
These are the men who went in search for the Land of Canaan. Moses calls Oshea the son of Nun, Jehoshua. They are commanded to go southward toward the Mountain.
The twelve travel to the land of Hebron and find only a people of great number and power. There the sons of Anak dwelt, whose names were: Ahiman, Sheshai and Talmai. Hebron was built 7 years be Zoan in Egypt. The twelve travels back home (after 40 days of searching) with the news, but exclaim that they are stronger, because in comparison they were as grasshoppers, because of the giant size of these humans.
Chapter 14: Israel Murmurs against Moses
Israel begins to Murmur, AGAIN. This time they claim that it would be better for them to turn around and head back into Egypt. Joshua and Caleb, however give a good report of the land of Canaan, unlike the “evil” report given in Chapter 13. Moses tells them, that the adults of the congregation of Israel shall not enter the Promised Land (insinuating that they will not go to the land of Canaan right away). Some rebels in the group, try to go by themselves and are slain by Canaanites and Amalekites